Author Sal Congeloso shows you the working parts of a "simple" LED bulb and explains the challenges electronics companies face as they push LED lighting into the mainstream. You'll learn how you can use LEDs now, and why solid-state lighting will bring dramatic changes in the future.
- Explore the drivers, phosphors, and integrated circuits in a typical LED bulb
- Understand the challenges in producing LED bulbs with acceptable brightness, color temperature, and power consumption
- Learn about non-bulb LED applications, including lamps, street lights, and signage
- Discover the market forces driving—and impeding—the adoption of LED lighting
- Compare LEDs to compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) and electron-stimulated luminescence (ESL) bulbs
- Gaze into the future of intelligent lighting, including networked lighting systems